This is the last of a series of posts on the doctrine of Authority. Click here to see the entire series.
Ignorance of the biblical doctrine of authority has cast a pall over the Church. Well meaning and well intentioned Christians have marched off to do battle with the secular humanist state with total ignorance of the nature of the battle they are going to fight. To make matters worse, they have gone off to battle without their armor and without their swords. The next thing they know they find themselves covenantally linked to the enemy by means of a sworn oath in which they have promised to do the exact opposite of what they originally intended. It is inevitable that the result will be total failure.
Ignorance of the doctrine of authority has resulted in sin against women in the Church. Either they have been sinfully ordained to offices they are forbidden to hold, or they have been excluded from offices they are permitted to hold.
The presupposition of the contractual nature of the Church and the State has brought about tremendous disorder and confusion in both of those institutions. Individuals, who have no authority, are running around acting as if they did. The representative authorities in those institutions are fearful for their jobs so they remain quiet. The inmates are running the asylum.
To even bring up the doctrine of authority will result in howls of derision. Nothing that has been argued in this essay could possibly be true. It is too radical, too utopian, too unrealistic to ever be adopted as a true doctrine. The applications of the doctrine of authority assault the very foundations of much Christian interaction with the world. The changes that are required are too sweeping and would cause too much hardship on too many believers. So I have been told.
The loss of the biblical doctrine of authority makes it difficult to see the Church today as genuine. Indeed, we have lost the doctrine of authority. Throughout most of her history, the Church had understood and lived by this biblical doctrine. We need to repent of our ignorance. We need to repent of our immoral covenantal links to the world. We need to repent of our commitment to democracy, both inside and outside the Church. We need to repent of our craving for false miracles. We need to repent of our deification of Satan.
Our refusal to adopt the biblical doctrine of authority necessarily leads to many theological and practical disasters. Several of these spiritual disasters are examined in detail in the essays that follow.
View all posts in this series
- Authority: Introduction - 08/11/2013
- Authority: Service or Contractual Authority - 08/14/2013
- Authority: Representative or Covenantal Authority - 08/18/2013
- Authority: Submission in the Family - 08/21/2013
- Authority: Submission in the Church - 08/25/2013
- Authority: Submission in the State - 08/28/2013
- Authority: Only Three Covenantal Authorities - 09/01/2013
- Authority: The State as a Covenantal Institution - 09/04/2013
- Authority: Original Authority in the Covenantal Institutions - 09/08/2013
- Authority: The Declaration of Independence - 09/11/2013
- Authority: The Oath or Vow in Covenantal Institutions - 09/15/2013
- Authority: Monopoly Powers of Covenantal Institutions - 09/18/2013
- Authority: The Role of Women - 09/22/2013
- Authority: The Deaconess - 09/25/2013
- Authority: Women in the State and Business - 09/29/2013
- Authority: Problems for Men Holding Office in the State Part 1 - 10/02/2013
- Authority: Problems for Men Holding Office in the State Part 2 - 10/06/2013
- Authority: Problems in the Bill of Rights and Constitutional Amendments - 10/09/2013
- Authority: Problems with Current Interpretations of the Constitution - 10/13/2013
- Authority: The Example of Slavery - 10/16/2013
- Authority: Democracy - 10/20/2013
- Authority: Voting - 10/23/2013
- Authority: What is a Christian to do? - 10/27/2013
- Authority: Patriotism - 10/30/2013
- Authority: Church Government - 11/03/2013
- Authority: Authority and Miracles - 11/06/2013
- Authority: The Authority of Satan - 11/10/2013
- Authority: A History of Satan - 11/13/2013
- Authority: Satan’s Power Today - 11/17/2013
- Authority: Conclusion - 11/20/2013